Monday, January 16, 2006

ikea wine rack


IMG_1814.JPG
Originally uploaded by minhi.

I know it's been a long time between posts, more a problem with (lack of) inspiration then anything else.

This is to talk about the "VURM" Wine Rack from Ikea, you can find it HERE.
It is only $9.99 and is made from stainless steel i think.

I'm actually writing this for a cross post, but here's a quick review of it.

I was drawn to this because of the my specific situation; tall and narrow. I also wanted something cheap and these are the cheapest wall hanging solution i could find.

So here's the good
--cheap but functional, just what you expect from Ikea.
--design is stable
--neutral color
--cheap for a vertical wine rack!

And here's the bad
--not uniform, so you can't mount them end to end. the openings also are not uniform (more below).
--will not fit larger bottom bottles, i've noticed these are usually French, so champagne, French wine & cognac.
--if you remove and insert bottles often, you can scratch up the labels (might be important to some)
--not the cheapest option, especially if you have more space.

You might notice that I have a larger French wine bottle in the top slot. But that is the only slot I could get it into, the openings are not uniform and it is a super tight fit. The label is scratched up from squeezing it in there.

I also inserted some other bottles to show what will fit. The belgian ale bottle is at the limit of what will fit, but IIRC a Chimay might not fit. The vodka bottle fits no problem. Normally I wouldn't store them like this but it's nice that I can in a pinch.

And here are some cheaper but less versatile solutions from Ikea HERE

Overally I'm very happy with them, I might repaint them but the function is good. It solved my specific problem which was to take advantage of dead space in a corner.


Larger pic one


Larger close up pic

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home